[OOTB-infra] misdirecting honeycomb instance (@heiko)

Heiko Robert heiko.orderofthebee.info at ecm4u.de
Tue Jun 9 20:58:30 BST 2015

Hi Martin,

it's up to you:

** using reverse proxy chain **

we/I could define an additional virtual host in our apache reverse proxy
and make sure the required header attributes are set. No rewrite rules
are set here to allow you max flexibility but SSL cert is requrired on
the upfront apache proxy to handle SSL handshake. You should also make
sure that in your virtual host the proxy headers are handled. What are
you using - apache or nginx?
At the end the tomcat config needs to translate the header variables
back or you set hostname and port the hard way. Do you connect to Tomcat
using http or ajp? In case of http you could define a connector valve to
translate automatically:

        <!-- Connectors for reverse proxy (nginx) terminating SSL -->
        <Connector port="8081" address="localhost" URIEncoding="UTF-8"
protocol="HTTP/1.1"
           maxThreads="300" connectionTimeout="600000"
maxHttpHeaderSize="32768"
           redirectPort="443" disableUploadTimeout="false"
           proxyPort="443" scheme="https" secure="false" sslProtocol="TLS"
           maxSavePostSize="-1"
           />

        <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.valves.RemoteIpValve"
          remoteIpHeader="X-Forwarded-For"
          remoteIpProxiesHeader="X-Forwarded-By"
          protocolHeader="X-Forwarded-Proto"
        />

where
  remoteIpHeader is the client IP header attribute and
  remoteIpProxiesHeader is the proxy IPs header attribute

There is absolutely no reason not to terminate HTTPS but it's just a
decision. Tomcat config has to be touched in any case.

** using port forward **

Port forwards are IP based and therfore don't support name dependant
resolution on the same IP. Define an unused port number of your choice
and we could forward this port on the firewall to your reverse proxy
port to the VM.

Make your decision and I can configure or show you how to do it.

Heiko