[OOTB-hive] Docker(/Kubernetes) - My ideas for potential work (re: Daren's mail)

Axel Faust axel.faust.g at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 7 10:12:25 GMT 2018

I partially agree on the aspect of a developer having to add technology
they may not have a need for. In my view that is an argument for using
Docker in the SDK, because when the runtime runs inside a container,
there is no more need for anyone to mess with their Java environment to
add the DCEVM stuff for their RAD needs. I also would not have to deal
with other secondary software I would need to have a fully working
Alfresco, e.g. when developing addons with custom transformations /
views that partially rely on PDF renderer, ImageMagick and the like...

Ideally, a (new/updated) SDK could provide options for both - legacy
in-process Tomcat + WAR as well as Dockerized runtime. It shouldn't be
too hard - in my Maven scaffolding I already have some conditional
profiles that either enable Docker for integration tests or use
Arquillian to run a regular old Tomcat based on either POM properties or
optional files in my project structure.

I am somehow still hoping that someone with more intimate knowledge of
the SDK (since I rarely use it myself) is interested in such an idea (or
one similar to it) and also willing/able to (co-)lead any efforts on this.