[OOTB-hive] New communication platform for our community?

Tahir Malik tahir.malik at contezza.nl
Wed Jul 27 12:51:08 BST 2016

Because we're physically so far away from each other communication is
key to make anything a success.
And if your communication sucks then the result probably won't be as
planned and people will engage less.

Same for this akward mailing list:
Mail with subject: Re: [OOTB-hive] New communication platform for our
community?
Mail with subject: Re: [OOTB-hive] OOTB contribution issues
Mail with subject: Re: [OOTB-hive] Slack

Wow and yes they all seem to be talking about the same subject...... and
how is to blame? People who can't find their way on which topic is
discussed where and have to read them all otherwise someone discussed
something somewhere else he/she didn't read?

I hear this quite a lot, yes this/that has been discussed on IRC.
So someone needs to go to IRC, to the archives find the discussion which
can be discussed in different timelines and by different people and then
respond to it in IRC or start a new mailing.
Who un-controlled is this for our communication.

We are volunteers and If I need to spend more time to communicate in
this community then at work & pesonal life, then Yes I will be less
engaged in this. So the question is not why are people not engaged?
Questions is why do we make it hard for people to engage.

Just some quick facts:
- average count on IRC whenever I logon 10 users
- count of different users reply on mailinglist at least 20 users from
the past 6 months (if I do a total of 2 years there are probably more)
- users in the Order 30

So these facts clearly state the point I and some others are making.

I've got some ideas/projects to start with, but I'm not sure how to
communicate efficiently with the users who might want to contribute.
Efficiently is to add them on Skype and start discussing stuff instead
of the current communication platform used.