[OOTB-hive] OOTB contribution issues

Axel Faust axel.faust.g at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 27 12:50:10 BST 2016

Andreas, regarding your question / curiosity about avg. number of addons /
modules in a production system I can say from my experience that we rarely
see less than 5 addons (80+% AMP packaged) and in various cases have seen
double digits. Typically at least two addons / modules will be
community-ish (I count Alfresco Support Tools to be community as it isn't
really an official part of the product and developed by an Alfresco support
guy much like any community addon would be).

Brian: Are you aware that IRC is being logged and you can always come to
see past communication? http://chat.alfresco.com/ and
https://botbot.me/freenode/orderofthebee/ are the archives to check in this
regard. You shouldn't feel like missing out - I am also only "online" in
IRC when I am working or my laptop is running for some other reason...

Daniel: This is the perfect time for your opinion to be voiced (generally
"always" should be the perfect time). A lot of what the Order set out to do
with our activities until now was based on a kind of "most common /
generalized activities a majority could agree on", and also to some degree
a limited set of alternatives.

Take ADDONS as an example: Andreas only uses one addon from the community
because addons have been known to cause issues due to varying degrees of
quality / different approaches to customize / extend Alfresco. This view
was shared by a lot of people and thus ADDONS was (among other potential
activities) intended to review community addons and come up with / provide
guidance on how community developers could avoid this problem and help to
improve the ecosystem.
It never was intended to be only about addons to Share - it only happens
that a lot of people were using Share and comming up with Share-related
addons to be reviewed.

Generally the committees are set up to be more like umbrella groups for
certain topics, and any activity originally set out (as a guiding line) can
be altered / added to / dropped given alternative ideas. Some ideas may
require initiative to do some work first in order to show something to
convince others on a new common activity...

I concur with Andreas that activities need to be feasible, and I honestly
considered what little we set out to do to be just that. Maybe that was
wrong.
"Being feasible" is a variable definition - it depdends on the workforce as
Andreas pointed out. There also is the issue of a self-fulfilling prohecy
that keeps us from gaining momentum. "That is not feasible - I won't
participate" means that there is at least one less person, and this causes
ideas / visions to turn out infeasible in the end as originally predicted.
On the other end we have people (I count myself among them) that need to
work towards a vision - even if that seems not feasible right now to
achieve - to see merit to the Order / make it worth their time. One can
always take the "baby steps" along the way...