[OOTB-hive] New communication platform for our community?

Olivier Anh twenster at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 20:07:23 BST 2016

Seeing some divergence in the email, may be it's better to have a larger scope of the "problem"

As communication tools, we are using :
- IRC : instant communication, requiring a permanent connexion
- forum : deferred communication. Good for deeper message et refllexion
- Stackoverflow : very broad communication to anyone. good to get views on the net
- github : very targeted to developpers only.
- mailing lists : email, email, email

Suggestion of a to to replace one or more existing tools.
- do we need a tools for quick and short communication
- long text of reflection
- open to anyone, or restricted (what is the public)
- should the topics be very targeted on coding, community, users,
- should it be free (cost free)
- open source or closed source

Proposed alternative : Slack
- could replace IRC in the concept (instant communication)
- could replace mailing lists (deferred communication)
- portable (as in mobile device - phone / tablet)
- sedentary (Desktop)
- costly (I don't consider the 10.000 message limit as a valid option)
- closed source
- known API
Open source alternative : mattermost, rocket.chat (and certainly others)

Proposed alternative : Telegram
- could replace IRC in the concept (instant communication)
- could replace mailing lists (deferred communication)
- portable (as in mobile device - phone / tablet)
- sedentary (Desktop)
- free (no cost)
- partially open source
- known API
- linked to a mobile phone number

What would be the advantage to use such a new tool and to replace which one(s) ?
I see :
- available on mobile
- can scroll back in time (deferred communication)
- more accessible to non tech users than IRC (?)

Do I miss something ?