[OOTB-hive] New communication platform for our community?

Jonathan Vargas jonathan.vargas at alkaidconsulting.com
Tue Jul 26 14:11:23 BST 2016

Hello.

I do not participate so actively like you do, but I wanted to tell that at
our company we preferred Telegram instead of Slack, because: Many of us are
already using Telegram, it's an open source project and the people doesn't
need to have something else consuming more RAM in their desktops or
mobiles, and it worked fine for the final purpose: Make communication
easier.

Then, we created several groups for teams and developed a couple of bots,
one for converting hashed numbers like #1234 to a link to the corresponding
issue in our Redmine. Also, for requesting a ping pong play and for
notifying commits.

However it lacks videoconference and calls, so we fill that gap with Google
Hangouts. We tested Slack, but none liked it.

Now, personally I prefer IRC for communities, but I am old school, most of
others don't have any idea what it is. I think it is yet the larger
community chat I think first and use when looking for having a conversation
with an open source software team.

Jonathan Vargas R.
CEO & Business Development
Alkaid - Software Company