[OOTB-hive] [INFRA] Virtual Hackathon - Capability of hosting integration/demo environments?

Heiko Robert heiko.orderofthebee.info at ecm4u.de
Wed Jul 20 20:42:51 BST 2016

Hi Axel,

I understand. This aproach would be easier to handle in terms of
organisation and security.
We could load an OVF template several times automated or by hand to make
several instances of Alfresco available. The manual process at the
moment is to register the IPs for reverse NAT or for the virtual hosts
to be registered in the reverse proxy to have access to the Aflresco
instances from the internet. Therfore it may be easier to preload VMs
and to reuse them by clean up and deployment scripts. If we don't allow
shell access the users should at least have access to the logs in any
way (e.g. by tools like logio to be installed inside the VM to allow
socket based log viewing) to find out what the problem is if things go
wrong. Of course the same should be true for the build process. One
another aproach could be achived by a separate ssh config inside the VMs
with predefined/distinct ports and jailed /chrooted users who have only
read access to the alfresco home and logs.
So I suggest to focus on the build process and on the requirements for
the receiving guest OS to allow also automatically deployments on a
running available system. It would be nice to parameterize this in
Jenkins (e.g. parameter DeploytoVM=1) and to give users restricted
access also to the build logs. If we set up this concept we can easlily
reuse it by just resetting the VMs, having images for different versions
and configuring which git or svn Repository has to be checked out /
cloned to start a build process ending in a specific VM.

VMWare: There are no license restrictions we need to care sice we don't
plan to ship the vmware infrastructure. Restrictions of the Free ESXi
could be ignored for Hardware we could afford:
http://serverfault.com/questions/736162/understanding-the-vmware-esxi-limitations-of-the-free-version

Windows is required if you need/want the free Admin UI Client but there
is also a free web interface as a addin available for esxi 5.x, 6.x:
https://labs.vmware.com/flings/esxi-embedded-host-client

Heiko