[OOTB-hive] Honeycomb vision revised

Jeff Potts jeffpotts01 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 20:15:05 BST 2016

A lot of people have weighed in on the original thread in which I proposed
a vision for Honeycomb. Thank you so much! It continues to be a good
discussion.

After reading and considering each response, I'd like to propose this
revised vision for Honeycomb, which appears below.

As you read this, please separate your thoughts about what's been done in
the past and the hurdles (such as infrastructure) that complicate achieving
what is outlined and instead decide whether or not this is the *vision* we
are all working towards for Honeycomb.

If we can get consensus on this, we can figure out what the immediate next
steps are on the path to achieving this.

Jeff

The Vision for OOTB's Honeycomb Distribution:

1. Honeycomb should be Alfresco Community Edition plus the best of what the
community has to offer.

Honeycomb includes:
 - Add-ons we feel like should be included in every install (example: the
JavaScript Console).
 - Critical fixes that Alfresco hasn't put in Alfresco CE.

The goal should be to be additive and to avoid a complete fork, if possible.

Honeycomb is transparent about exactly what is included, where it came
from, how to report issues, how to help fix issues, and how to disable it.

2. Honeycomb is a distribution of Alfresco Community Edition. It has no
opinion about how you choose to install the software.

Honeycomb must be easy to install with no requirements for extra tools and
no dependencies on deployment choices (such as virtualization).

The goal of Honeycomb is to be an easy choice for people, whether they are
installing locally to experiment with, to assist with developing add-ons,
or running in production.

There are many ways to run Alfresco. Honeycomb is not opinionated about
such things. If you want to automate the Honeycomb installation with a tool
of your choice or you want to run it in a container or on a virtual
machine, you can obviously do that, and the community would be happy if you
made your efforts publicly available, but those efforts are not in-scope
for Honeycomb.

3. Honeycomb should be as stable as Alfresco Community Edition, making it
suitable for running in production for the same use cases and
implementation patterns as Alfresco Community Edition.

Honeycomb is not experimental. It is not only for developers. It is not an
evaluation copy. It is a quality distribution with at least as much
stability as Alfresco CE and is potentially even more stable.