[OOTB-hive] Thoughts on Honeycomb that need your input

martin at bettercode.com martin at bettercode.com
Wed Jul 13 11:47:45 BST 2016

Hehe, well I figured I wanted to get the whole story down in one place
:-)  Unfortunately halfway through I obviously thought I was in the
INFRA channel! :-/

As far as I see it, Honeycomb *is just* a set of extensions, rolled into
a vanilla Alfresco CE, at least as it was originally stated back when we
started, and recently re-stated by Jeff. The puppet thing started out as
a build around which to test said extensions and just kind of
snowballed. That said, we're in a better position now to have something
that we can say *is not* Honeycomb (even though we temporarily
appropriated the name) than if there was nothing there at all right now.
 At least we have something to talk about :-)

Let's be serious though, Alfresco are never going to help us in anything
that looks like it might help CE scale, it would be sailing too close to
their enterprise offering, so I doubt we are going to see anything
helpful there. Like I said, marsbard/docker-alfresco is merely our
(Daren's and I) experimentation in that direction.

Developing with Docker though is super nice compared to puppet. Once you
get a layer locked in there is no more need to "start from scratch", so
the development lifecycle is really fast. It's also really nice that the
end result is a text file, the Dockerfile, and also that you can (but I
didn't) publish the completed image to the (or a) Docker Hub.

We need the build process (i.e. Jenkins) to build not only the
extensions but also alfresco.war, share.war et al and then store them in
our own artifact server. From there we are free to have whatever
installer we want, be it a Dockerfile, puppet manifests, shell scripts
or whatever. Perhaps for example Loftux would prefer to get their war
artifacts from us rather than from potential zombie Patient Zero. I'm
definitely not very keen on using the alfresco-provided installers. So
basically it's all still blocked by the infrastructure. (But you were
right, back then 2 years ago when you said that Docker could have been a
better approach than puppet. If a Dockerfile had appeared back then we
could be having a very different conversation now.)

Cheers
Martin

PS Thanks for your kind comment about my health
  martin at bettercode.com