[OOTB-hive] Thoughts on Honeycomb that need your input

Andreas Steffan a.steffan at contentreich.de
Wed Jul 13 07:41:35 BST 2016

Wow, what a response!

No doubt that if we want extensions rolled into Honeycomb, then we will
need an artifact server.

The point (at least mine) for Docker is building a distribution and
shipping with reach - in a simple(!) way. Building and serving the
extensions we want rolled in is just a small fraction of that work.

Slicing and dicing an Alfresco system and juggling around with the
pieces surely is fun and also makes sense at scale. Even though Docker
1.12 comes with orchestration support, it is still very complicated -
and things get worse the smaller the pieces. Docker compose is not
suitable for production, and things like Kubernetes probably overkill.
Other than that, there are some nice and easy tricks to get around basic
container dependency issues. The default installer does not support
sliced installation, so there is no regression if Honeycomb does not
support it initially.

Regarding support for potential slicing of the basic Alfresco CE and the
work involved with it, that's why I asked about the situation at
Alfresco. If we are aiming at that, I think they need to be strongly
involved with this task.

PS: Glad to hear you are better now.

cheers
Andreas

--
Andreas Steffan

Achter Billing 14
22399 Hamburg
Germany

skype: deas0815
M: +49 160 4694826
T: +49 40 23943542
F: +49 40 23943542

http://www.contentreich.de

Contentreich : Alfresco ECM, Clojure, Groovy und WordPress - aus Spaß und für Geld