[OOTB-hive] [ADDONS] What do we want from an Order-managed addonlisting?

Axel Faust axel.faust.g at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 30 19:23:40 BST 2016

Thanks for everyone who could make the call today.
Here is what I took as relevant from the session to summarize - if anyone
is missing a point, please feel free to add:

- Jeff's proposal of a concept for addon status tiers has generally been
accepted; multiple variants have been discussed, e.g. Angel brought up the
idea of a tag-like qualification where an addon could be flagged as
"self-certified", "verified on latest Alfresco version", "verified against
abstract best practices", "code reviewed" (in-depth) etc
- I pointed out the definition of an addon as "anything that adds
functionality / customization to Alfresco by using standard extension
mechanisms" in order to potentially remove the question of "source patches"
(the bug fix project discussed in another thread on the mailing list would
qualify as an addon because it uses standard extension mechanisms, i.e.
subclassing, and provides opt-outs)
- the issue of addon listing should be considered separate from the
Honeycomb edition efforts, although in practice we may have some overlap
- the effort required to review 3rd-party addons / foreign code was cited
as one contributing factor to low number of addon reviews being completed
- the existing inclusion criteria has been agreed on as a good starting
point
- technical utilties / automated checks will be an important part in
sustaining review activities / maintaining the listing, but aren't the
highest priority to (re)start the activities around addon listing
- we should check with current efforts at Alfresco with regards to
automated upgrade testing (potential reuse instead of duplicated efforts)
- we have a general agreement that we should limit the initial review
effort by requiring developers actively go through
self-evaluation/-certification and register the addon with "us" first
before we perform any deeper evaluations
- a translation of the criteria catalogue into a practical
"self-certification" checklist may be necessary
- before we can "announce" our criteria catalogue and offer
self-registration for addons listing under our umbrella we should validate
/ refine the existing criteria using our own open source addons
- attendees of the call (and other OOTBee members) each aim to have
reviewed 1 - 2 of their own addons (or lacking own addons, any 3rd-party
ones) and exchanged feedback on / discussed adjustments to the criteria
list by the end of October (please set up reminders so you/we don't all
start the last week)
- goal is to have the self-registration / self-certification part of the
listing process available and communicated in "the next couple of months"
(my suggested target: middle of December this year)

So, the next steps are:
- October 31th - everyone: self-review our own addons / addons of our
choice in the next two months
-- preferably perform the review in September with enough time to exchange
feedback and refine the criteria catalogue
-- suggestion: use the Global Virtual Hackathon for self-review or even
perform some cross-reviewing
-- issues / questions regarding the criteria catalogue should be posted as
soon as possible to the mailing list (new thread(s), not replies to this
one) or discussed via IRC
- end of September - Axel / Angel: check progress on automated
upgradability tests with Alfresco
- est. November: prepare listings + criteria page(s) and registration forms
for web site
- est. December: publish self-registration part of process

I know we haven't discussed and agreed on the last two points, so these are
primarily my suggestions to keep us focussed.