[OOTB-hive] registry for models and namespaces?

Axel Faust axel.faust at prodyna.com
Thu May 21 17:24:42 BST 2015

I am not quite sure I understand the need for a "registry". I do see the need for what Heiko / ECM4U are doing - releasing/sharing common models for business use cases, so that there may be a standardization in the community. But we already have what we need to do that from a technical point of view: addons.alfresco.com, Maven Central/artifacts.alfresco.com and AMP for registration, distribution and packaging.

The issue of namespacing is a non-issue, provided developers know what they are doing and do it properly. There shouldn't ever be a namespace conflict unless people are totally unprofessional in that they keep using custom:model or Alfresco namespace. Namespaces are unique to the organization that develops an addon and the name of that addon.
Namespacing is one aspect in the ADDONS criteria catalog. Maybe this just needs education and a proper flogging in the form diligent reviews to correct development practices in the long run.

Of course visibility of such model addons within the community could be improved - be it in addons.alfresco.com or on any OOTB listing.

Regards
Axel