[OOTB-hive] BeeCon - sub-naming proposal

Martin Cosgrave martin at ocretail.com
Thu May 7 22:28:09 BST 2015

So BeeCon has been picked up and run with, nice. I am particularly
enamoured of the "Beacon" analogy and I think it would be great to have
some sort of iconography around that, I guess bees holding torches or
something.

Furthering that double meaning, I was thinking that we have these two
sizes of BeeCons or Beacons: The Lighthouse, the large meeting that
Boriss is busy organising, and The Torch, the more kind of
"un-conference" idea that I suggested. I propose that we subtitle the
name of each meeting with either "lighthouse" or "torch" respectively,
but in the native language of the hosting country, so if the main
meeting was in Belgium the title could be "BeeCon - De Vuurtoren" and if
the smaller meeting was in Spain for example it could be called "BeeCon
- La Antorcha".

Both 'torch' and 'lighthouse' are pretty iconic images and easily
recognisable even when rendered very simplistically. Actually thinking
about it the simplicity of the Alfresco Summit mountains is a pretty
similar idea both in design and motivation to what I am thinking of,
both those beacons would be easily reduceable to a simple graphic like
the Alfresco mountains were.