[OOTB-hive] The future of Alfresco Summit

Richard Esplin richard.esplin at alfresco.com
Thu May 7 05:49:55 BST 2015

Below are my understanding of the answers to your questions.

Ole, Gab, and I have been asked to meet with the Summit planning team next
week to provide our input on what the developer and open source communities
need to have a valuable experience at the conference. I will emphasize these
points.

Thanks,

Richard

On Wednesday, May 06, 2015 21:09:59 Jeff Potts wrote:
> I agree with you that DevCon wasn't killed--we morphed it into Alfresco
> Summit a while back and added some business tracks and those were
> successful conferences overall with cross-over between the two, as you said.
>
> I also understand the motivation behind having a single conference every
> year rather than two.
>
> The questions I have about Alfresco Summit that may drive my opinion about
> what happens with BeeCon are:
>  * Will this year's summit include technical tracks? If so, how many?

This year's conference will include technical tracks. I have not yet received
word of how many. I'm told that "it will be comparable to last year".

>  * Do sessions presented by users of Community Edition have an equal chance
> of being selected when compared to sessions presented by users of
> Enterprise Edition (all other things being equal)?

Technical talk selection will be handled in a similar manner to previous
years, except that Ole and Martin will be chairing the selection committee. I
would not characterize that as "an equal chance", but I expect we will
continue to have users of Community Edition presenting.

>  * What will the cost of this year's summit be? (I'm thinking of its
> attractiveness to Community Edition users as well as a recognition that
> people from outside of the US may have a higher travel cost now that this
> is their only choice).

The cost has not yet been determined. I haven't even heard a rumor, so I can't
speculate.

> [...]
> > the concern isn't that it is a single event, but that it is in the US.
> >
> > Since I joined the planning team, every year I proposed that we hold a
> > single
> > global event. Running two conference is a very challenging thing. It
> > significantly increases the cost, it distracts key members of our
> > technical and
> > leadership teams for almost a month, and it divides our community. My
> > argument
> > was that most attendees do not come every year, and if we rotate between
> > the
> > continents then most people will continue attending. Having everyone in
> > one
> > place makes it easier to bring more Alfresco employees without having the
> > employees dominate the conference. It also helps that participants won't
> > be
> > away from their jobs for as long. And I look forward to having our US and
> > EMEA
> > community members interact more.
> >
> > I was not involved in the selection of the venue for this year's Summit. I
> > was
> > disappointed to hear that we were starting a single global Summit in the
> > US
> > instead of in Europe. I know we looked at venues in multiple countries,
> > and I
> > think the selection came down to finding a hotel that could meet our needs
> > within our budget. It is a challenge to find a venue for our size of
> > conference: we are too big for most venues, but we are still too small for
> > many hotels to want to give us as much space as we need for presentation
> > rooms.
> >
> > It is unfortunate that it took us so long to make a decision and announce
> > our
> > plans. Our conferences have been so dynamic that it is a challenge to plan
> > more than one year in advance; we want to see how the current year goes
> > before
> > making plans for the coming year. This year it also took us a long time to
> > make a decision about what the goals are for the conference. If our goal
> > is to
> > close deals, then we didn't not succeed and shouldn't have a Summit. But
> > everyone in the company recognizes the value in having a conference were
> > all
> > members of our community can assemble to interact with our team, learn
> > about
> > the product, and improve in their job functions. We had to make that
> > decision
> > before we could decide about one location or two.
> >
> > I also feel that our team made a mistake in not communicating openly about
> > our
> > plans for the conference. I hope that this explanation serves to
> > ameliorate
> > that.
> >
> > I hope to see you at Alfresco Summit this year, and at the Order of the

<snip>