[OOTB-hive] Introducing BeeCon

Richard Esplin richard.esplin at alfresco.com
Wed May 6 05:38:14 BST 2015

I love the idea of a community led conference, and I would like to help as
much as possible. I think the most useful way I can help at the moment is to
offer unsolicited advice and proposals.

* Rather than making this an "Alfresco developer conference", or an "open
source community conference", I think this is the "Order of the Bee
Conference. It's an opportunity to promote our brand, and the conference is to
advance our mission. Let's call it BeeCon.

* Mission: BeeCon is the community-led conference for Alfresco enthusiasts.
Expect deep technical insight, comradery, and an opportunity to contribute
back. We encourage any topic related to Alfresco Community Edition, and we
welcome developers, administrators, and users of any Alfresco related product.

* I have participated in the planning of a number of conferences. They all
require time and money. I think the Order of the Bee has the enthusiasm
necessary to pull it off, but we still aren't organized in a way that allows us
to receive and spend money. Maybe we need to do that.

* There is value in charging a reasonable entry fee. It helps with the
planning, increases the level of commitment, and provides resources for
essentials like Internet access. I would suggest charging €75 at the door,
with discounts for registering early, being a member of the Order of the Bee,
or being a student. It should be easy for people who care about the topic to
figure out how to get in for less than €40 (register early with an Order of the
Bee code). But there should also be an option "I want to support the mission
of the conference by paying full price".

* I love informal community conferences. Many of my favorite conferences have
been held at a University, school, or museum, and required participants to buy
their own food. We should focus on providing power, network, and a place to
have great conversations.

* We should set up a web site for submitting proposals, and then allow people
who have pre-registered for the conference to vote to select the speakers.

* The Order of the Bee has about 110 members, so our first conference is
unlikely to attract more than 100. Selling out isn't a bad thing.

* Based on that estimate, our venue should have two rooms that hold 50. I
would plan 7 sessions a day and a keynote. Over two days with two rooms,
that's 28 presentations and 2 keynotes. But maybe we just do 1.5 days so that
we have a half day dedicated to a hack-a-thon and people only need one night's
hotel room. We could combine the two rooms for the keynotes and and have a
sponsor area in the hall.

* Two people could manage to record and post 28 sessions. I'm pretty sure I
can get the Alfresco recording devices (VGA only).

* Unfortunately, there is a lot of work involved with setting up the
infrastructure: web site, registration process, legal requirements. But after
the  first conference, it should be easier to make this a yearly event.

* I expect that the key question of when to hold the conference will revolve
around the question of "how long will it take to organize this stuff?"

I'm very excited about BeeCon! (Is the name sticking yet?)

Bzzzz,

Richard