[OOTB-hive] Becoming a non-profit

Richard Esplin richard.esplin at alfresco.com
Wed Jul 22 22:05:37 BST 2015

I agree with all of this. But as I look into it I will share my research. And it is easier for me to research in the US.

I spoke with a lawyer at the Free Software Foundation (Donald Robertson). Here are my notes:
* They provide "Fiscal Sponsorship" to projects to help them manage these money issues.
   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiscal_sponsorship
* They regularly provide this service for open source conferences hosted by third-parties.
* Order of the Bee's BeeCon probably fits in their mission because Alfresco is LGPL licensed.
* They usually ask for a branding concession in exchange for their service. They like us to emphasize "Free Software" (not open source), GNU, and GPL . They asked the Seattle Linux Conference to change their name to Seattle GNU/Linux Conference in exchange for this service.
* FSF Europe is probably the right group to work with. They use a different term for the same thing.

Cheers,

Richard