[OOTB-hive] Becoming a non-profit

Heiko Robert heiko.orderofthebee.info at ecm4u.de
Wed Jul 22 21:11:18 BST 2015

Dear all,

my 2 cents:

* I agree with Jeff concerning Europe

* at least for Germany I disagree with Tahir:
You need a legal entity - otherwise it's a group of idividuals
(association by law / "BGB-Gesellschaft") which means everyone in that
group is liable unlimited in the name of this group. Therfore everybody
is founding a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eingetragener_Verein to
avoid that. In very short: Nonprofit associations need to be registered
and to proof that they don't earn money by presenting the bookkeeping
every year. If the associaction complies with the "charitable"
requirements it can receive donations without the need to pay taxes on
that amount on both sides.
Some Important rules for "Eingetragener Verein":
As I know
** all board members need to be citizen of an EU country
** the by laws have to be in german to get registered

The german language may be a big restriction for the bees. Therefore we
should evaluate regularities for other countries in the EU.

Heiko