[OOTB-hive] Becoming a non-profit

Richard Esplin richard.esplin at alfresco.com
Fri Jul 24 06:53:10 BST 2015

Thanks Marcos for sharing the link to the video.

As an aside, over the past four years Cedric and I have discussed whether Alfresco should be part of OW2. I think it is a foundation that closely matches the style of Alfresco, and they have some useful resources that we would like to leverage. But I don't think our team is ready for that step at the moment  as we have had a lot of transitions over the past two years. That said, we certainly have a lot to learn from the experience of OW2.

It was interesting at OSCON to compare the Order of the Bee with other projects. I think the governance of the Order is very strong. I think the current mission, bylaws, and committees are excellent. They are well organized, provide a lot of clarity, and do not result in too much overhead. It is always useful to learn about additional approaches, but I think the current framework is sufficient so long as the Order has a way to handle sponsorship money.

Now that I understand fiscal proxies, I am prepared to put the governance question aside for the rest of the year.

It is nice to hear from you, and thank you for sharing.

Richard