[OOTB-hive] Becoming a non-profit

Richard Esplin richard.esplin at alfresco.com
Fri Jul 24 06:02:19 BST 2015

I've been at OSCON this week, and have received a lot of useful advice.

Heiko's information on Germany was really interesting. I was told that one challenge with organizing in Germany is that the law is really strict about non-profits sticking strictly to their defined mission, so you want to define the mission in a vague manner on the legal documents. Something like "promote open source solutions for business functions."

I was told that a Fedora group in Germany specifically named Fedora advocacy in their charter. Red Hat was told by their US lawyers that the Fedora Group in Germany looked like a tax shelter. Red Hat was the primary donor in a German non-profit that was using its trademarks. For the non-profit to remove the explicit reference to Fedora, they had to completely dissolve. The Fedora Group in France had the same problem, but was able to update their charter in only a couple of days.

Another useful tip was that no single group should provide more than 50% of the donations to the non-profit, or it starts to look more like a business subsidiary for US tax purposes.

Organizations that can provide Fiscal Sponsorships for open source projects (in order of how easy they are to work with):
* Free Software Conservancy
* Software in the Public Interest
* FSF / FSF Europe

Open source companies that provide resources to open source advocacy organizations:
* Red Hat Open Source and Standards group (namely Brian Proffit and Jim Jagielski)
* Bluehost's Open Source Outreach (Jared Smith)
These two groups have money and resources that exist to help open source advocacy groups advance their missions. They can provide web hosting, meeting spaces, swag, and other useful things.

I had a long discussion with representatives of the Fedora and CentOS communities.

Fedora is a completely independent organization to Red Hat, but Red Hat does nominate one member of their board, and also provides a full time salary to whoever is elected by the community to be the project leader.

CentOS was run by seven core contributors and thirty contributors and testers. It took a few years for the project to get very useful or to have much adoption. They never had any legal organization, or did any conferences. When Red Hat chose to officially sponsor them, there was no organization to sponsor, so they offered full time employment to the core team, and recognition to the other contributors.

I was a bit shocked to hear how small the CentOS team is, given the impact they had on the industry. Order of the Bee is already bigger in numbers, and I expect will likely have a big impact over time. You are doing great work!

For this year, I recommend working with the Free Software Conservancy as a fiscal sponsor / fiscal proxy so that Order of the Bee can handle the money necessary for a BeeCon.

I can't make any promises, but I could make a solid proposal that Alfresco provide a donation to the fiscal sponsor if they assist Order of the Bee with BeeCon.

Down the road, I would like to see Alfresco eventually sponsoring Order of the Bee on a similar level to how Red Hat sponsors Fedora (but with a mission closer to CentOS). I could see Alfresco providing legal help and other resources. But I also recognize that Order of the Bee needs to be independent and in control of its own future. You'll have to tell me what would be useful.

If desired, I can introduce members of this group to people in each of the helpful organizations I mentioned above.

Let me know how you would like me to assist.

Cheers,

Richard