[Ootb-hive] The Order of the Bee

Jeff Potts jeff.potts at alfresco.com
Tue Jun 3 00:28:39 BST 2014

This sounds great, I am all for it in concept.

My initial thought is that Richard has the same goal as you do, which is to
convey the importance of open source and the community to Alfresco
leadership (and echo'd back to the broader community). But he's only one
guy so, obviously, needs the help of the bees. So I'm just wondering if
there are certain pieces of this that could be hosted at Alfresco but with
the community given edit access. Just a thought.

Just brainstorming here, I think there are two major groups of activities:
(1) Promoting and encouraging contributions, collaboration, and activity in
the ecosystem regardless of edition and (2) Encouraging the download,
installation, and production use of Community Edition.

Anything in the first bucket is a no-brainer. So highlighting add-ons,
translations, bug reports, bug fixes, blog posts, tutorials, screencasts,
helpful forum members, active IRC channels, meetups, etc. falls in this
category. This stuff should be showing up in newsletters, in the wiki, on
the community landing page. It should be part of a report that goes to
management that has metrics that says, "Here's what the community did this
quarter".

As I mentioned in my talk, Richard and I are having fun but not scaling. Me
leaving does not help that. :) He can't be everywhere or see everything.
Maybe there's a way the community can "report in" every month or something.
Then Richard can take that up the chain. The challenge is that the most
vocal members who are motivated to report in are a fairly small (but
passionate!) group. So, really, this kind of thing needs to be automated as
much as possible.

It's the stuff in the second bucket--actively promoting CE--that is
challenging. This is the nature of *commercial* open source--there is
always this tension between sales, who often sees the free software as
competition, and the community who tends to see the longer-term view. At
some level, everyone understands that a large number of Enterprise Edition
users started as Community Edition users, but highly-visible promotional
activities around Community Edition feel competitive and even
antagonistic/inflammatory to sales and management. As a simple example,
Alfresco struggles to figure out where/how to list CE on the web site. Too
much prominence and sales gets mad. Too little and the community team gets
mad (and downloads drop).

So you're unlikely to see Alfresco do much more than say, "Here is
Community Edition if you want to download it, go ahead". (In fact, you may
have noticed that the opt-in CE download was recently removed--you must now
provide an email address to download unless you go to SourceForge or some
other source).

Ultimately, the community is free to do whatever it wants, subject to the
license. My only advice at the moment (maybe I'll have more after Friday)
is to look for ways to help Richard meet his goals and avoid duplicating
work for the first bucket. For the second bucket, it's going to depend on
how close to "the line" you want to take it.

Jeff

Jeff Potts
Chief Community Officer
Mobile: +1 214 405 4957
Skype: jeffpotts01
Blog: ecmarchitect.com

Alfresco
Simple + Smart

Join us at Alfresco Summit | San Francisco, Sep 23-25 | London, Oct 7-9 |
http://summit.alfresco.com

alfresco.com | twitter.com/alfresco | facebook.com/alfrescosoftware |
blogs.alfresco.com | linkedin.com/company/alfresco | youtube.com/alfresco101