[Ootb-hive] The Order of the Bee

Boriss Mejias tchorix at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 23:26:45 BST 2014

Hi Jeff and Richard,

I'm sending you this email on behalf of the members of the Order of the Bee
(OOTB, in Cc), a new organization with a name completely inspired on Jeff's
community keynote in Barcelona.

Call it telepathy, coincidence, but the time couldn't be better given the
fact that Jeff is leaving Alfresco. On Friday, May 23, while talking to
some fellows on the IRC channel (not logged, just PM) we decided to create
the OOTB with the following goal: Guarantee the existence of the Alfresco
Community based on a free/libre solution for document management.

As you guys know, we are worried that the current management of Alfresco
doesn't see the value of Alfresco being open source, but for us, that's a
core thing for having this great community. We also think that Alfresco
wouldn't be what it is without its community. And by community, we don't
mean users of Alfresco Community edition, but also people using Alfresco
Enterprise, Alfresco partners, and Alfresco employees willing to
collaborate with each other to create a better software, and a better
community.

So, our first goal is to make the contribution of the community shine on
the eyes of Alfresco management, so that they keep committed to give
support to the community, and keep Alfresco open source.

To achieve such goal, we are going to host an Alfresco instance with
several of the best addons made by the community. We will also need some
plain html site to show and link other kind contributions such as meetups,
irc channel, forums and blog posts. The most important concept behind the
order is that Alfresco as a company, *together* with the Alfresco Community
can get the best of Alfresco as a software.

We are telling you this because you guys are our interface to Alfresco (as
a company) and we want some feedback about the idea, to help us focus on
the best approach to make our statement as strong as possible.

So, feedback is welcome.
cheers
Boriss