[OOTB-hive] Organizing our efforts

Oksana Kurysheva okurysheva at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 15:25:52 BST 2014

Great! I suggested only moving success-stories to PSN, but we can merge it
with MKT fully for the first time, and then divide if needed.

Then I can create repos for all committees on Github and give access to
these repos to committee members. We can use them for:
- sub-sites (like orderofthebee.org/honeycomb)
- discussions about activities in Issues,
- considering external requests in Issues
- collaboration in Github Wiki (if it's possible, I have never used it)

On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 6:15 PM, Jeff Potts <jeffpotts01 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I believe you and Oksana are proposing the following:
> 1. WEB becomes INFRA
>  - does not include content creation
>  - does include live showcase
> 2. PSN becomes part of MKT
> GOV, DISTRO, ADDONS remain unchanged for a total of five committees
> starting out. The BOARD is a special committee as membership will require
> elections going forward.
> If that's the proposal, I am in agreement. Those are good changes.
> Jeff
> On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 8:09 AM, Boriss Mejias <tchorix at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Fellow bees,
>> We were discussing on the #orderofthebee channel today about these ideas
>> posted by Oksana, and we believe she has a point regarding MKT generating
>> the content. We also realised that we need a team working on the
>> collaboration platform apart from the website platform. So, we came up with
>> the following idea:
>> - Move web content as a task of MKT
>> - Replace WEB by Infrastructure or Platform, whatever name is better.
>> Like that, instead of having WEB asking for content to MKT, we will have
>> MKT requesting web support from Infrastructure/Platform. Like that, the
>> Live Showcase falls more naturally into Infrastructure/Platform.
>> What do you bees think?
>> I don't have an opinion regarding the merge of PSN and MKT
>> cheers
>> Boriss
>> On 19 August 2014 18:13, Oksana Kurysheva <okurysheva at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hello Jeff,
>>> Great idea. I like it, but I don't understand a place of the Board in
>>> this scheme :)
>>> More specific comment:
>>> I suggest to merge (or reogranize) some committees:
>>> 1. *Web Site*. There are 2 completely different parts of activities
>>> around the website:
>>> - technical (architecture, select tools, maintain the site etc). Live
>>> Showcase is completely different technical activity.
>>> - marketing (update content, draw new pictures).
>>> So I suggest to put the second point to the *Marketing* committee. Live
>>> Showcase is somewhere near to *Distribution*.
>>> 2. *Marketing* and *Professional Services Network*.
>>> I suggest to all website content to the Marketing (see above). And I
>>> suggest to merge "collect customer stories" and "Professional Services
>>> Network". We will ask all SIs and freelancers for some customer contacts
>>> (or ready stories) and we will ask all customers for SI/freelancer contact.
>>> So I think that it should be the same activity.
>>> 3. About "web site" and myself. I already got several comments in IRC
>>> today about I should become a chair of *Web Site* committee. So:
>>> I would like to work on the content and on the images on the website,
>>> but I really have no time to build great dynamic website with
>>> authorization, voting etc till the end of the year. I don't have experience
>>> in this topic and I'm not ready to work on full-day basis. I understand
>>> that it takes a lot of time, and I don't have it. So if someone is ready to
>>> take the responsibility for the technical part of the website - I would be
>>> happy.
>>> Regards,
>>> Oksana
>>> On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 7:16 AM, Jeff Potts <jeffpotts01 at gmail.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>> We have a lot of work to do. But we also have a lot of interested
>>>> people who are ready to help out, which is great!
>>>> This email is a proposed organizational model for the Order aimed at
>>>> making sure the people who are most passionate about a particular area are
>>>> able to dive in and move forward as quickly as possible while still
>>>> maintaining some level of visibility and oversight throughout the larger
>>>> group.
>>>> This is a proposal. It seems roughly-right to me. It can be fine-tuned
>>>> and made more formal over time if necessary. Hopefully it is good enough
>>>> for now. If not, say something.
>>>> *Establish Committees Aligned with Our Goals*
>>>> I propose that we organize committees aligned with our goals. Each
>>>> committee can select a committee chair. The committee chair keeps things on
>>>> track, delegates tasks, and reports progress to the community. How the
>>>> chair is selected is up to the committee. I suspect someone may volunteer.
>>>> If more than one person feels strongly that they should be chair, put it to
>>>> a vote (see "Voting", below).
>>>> I'll provide a list of proposed committees at the end.
>>>> *Committees Are Empowered to Get Stuff Done*
>>>> Committees are expected to act mostly autonomously to accomplish their
>>>> goals. Committee chairs can use their judgement as to what requires the
>>>> entire community to make a decision on and what the committee can move
>>>> forward with on their own.
>>>> The whole point of dividing into committees is to prevent overly-broad
>>>> discussion, single-threading, paralysis, or overwhelming a small number of
>>>> individuals.
>>>> *Voting*
>>>>  Committees are encouraged to get consensus amongst committee members
>>>> through discussion. Communication can take place using the public list or,
>>>> if the committee wants to, they can use a committee-specific list.
>>>> A committee may have major decisions that face the group that need to
>>>> be put to a vote. When a decision is put to a vote, I propose a 48-hour
>>>> voting period during which the committee members respond with +1, -1, or 0
>>>> (abstain). After 48-hours the person initiating the vote closes the vote
>>>> and announces the voting results.
>>>> Don't over-use voting. It's tedious and drags things out. Use it for
>>>> major decisions or decisions where there is a lot of discussion and
>>>> consensus appears to be murky or hard to achieve.
>>>> Example: The web site committee is thinking of changing the theme from
>>>> yellow to orange. After an email to the group, a few people are strongly in
>>>> favor and most don't reply at all within a reasonable amount of time. No
>>>> one appears to be strongly opposed. No vote is required. The committee
>>>> should push forward.
>>>> Example: The web site committee is thinking of eliminating an entire
>>>> section of the web site. A few people are strongly in favor. A few seem
>>>> opposed. The person proposing the idea sends an email with the subject of
>>>> "[VOTE] Let's remove section XX from the web site" and describes their
>>>> position in the body. Committee members have 48 hours to reply all with
>>>> their vote. At the end of 48 hours, the person initiating the vote sends a
>>>> second email with "[VOTE CLOSED] Let's remove section XX from the web site"
>>>> and in the body gives the vote count and whether or not it passed.
>>>> Exactly who gets to vote is still up-in-the-air. Perhaps we are still
>>>> small enough that whomever sees a vote take place and feels strongly enough
>>>> to vote can do so. The Governance committee should tackle this issue early.
>>>> *Initial Committees*
>>>> I suggest we keep the list of sub-committees to 6 or less initially,
>>>> aligned with the major goals of the Order.
>>>> I propose the following sub-committees to start:
>>>> - *Governance*. Draft a charter and some simple by-laws. Figure out
>>>> voting, member levels, vouching (business requirements), board election
>>>> procedures, etc.
>>>> - *Web Site*. Define an architecture, select tools, maintain the site.
>>>> Implement business requirements given to you by the other sub-committees.
>>>> For now, I think the Live Showcase idea should fall under Web Site.
>>>> - *Distribution*. Work on how the Order-specific distribution will
>>>> work. Establish standards, source code control, QA. Set milestones. Pick a
>>>> name (other than "OOTB Edition"). Do the work.
>>>> - *Add-Ons*. Determine the criteria for how Order-endorsed add-ons
>>>> will be selected. Work with the Distribution committee to determine which
>>>> ones will be part of the standard distribution. Engage developers to
>>>> encourage them to maintain their add-ons, follow best practices, etc. Could
>>>> be combined with Distribution.
>>>> - *Marketing*. Collect customer stories from those using CE and the
>>>> Order-specific distribution. Publish these stories on the web site and in
>>>> other channels. Try to get speaking slots at conferences. Find people to
>>>> donate marketing schwag. This committee should also be responsible for the
>>>> social accounts. Could be combined with the web site.
>>>> - *Professional Services Network*. Figure out how SI's should be
>>>> listed and what, if any, vetting the Order will do. Proactively seek out
>>>> individuals and companies who meet the criteria and get them added to the
>>>> list.
>>>> *Get On a Committee*
>>>> If you are hoping to do more for this cause than simply lurk, you need
>>>> to pick 1 and no more than 2 sub-committees, add yourself to the list, and
>>>> get to work.
>>>> Maybe people should just send an email to the list and say which
>>>> committee they want to focus on.
>>>> *Let's set a date*
>>>> Let's set a goal of having committees formed and committee chairs
>>>> selected by September 1. The committee chairs will start reporting progress
>>>> at the end of September and then monthly after that.
>>>> For now, at our size, let's have the committee chairs report status via
>>>> the public list. If there is a sensitive or confidential issue that needs
>>>> to be addressed, talk to a board member and we can handle it off-list.
>>>> *Thoughts?*
>>>> What do you think? Shall we give it a try? Any alternative suggestions
>>>> or improvements?
>>>> Jeff
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> OOTB-hive mailing list
>>>> OOTB-hive at xtreamlab.net
>>>> http://www.xtreamlab.net/mailman/listinfo/ootb-hive
>>> --
>>> С уважением,
>>> Оксана Курышева
>>> <okurysheva at gmail.com>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> OOTB-hive mailing list
>>> OOTB-hive at xtreamlab.net
>>> http://www.xtreamlab.net/mailman/listinfo/ootb-hive
>> _______________________________________________
>> OOTB-hive mailing list
>> OOTB-hive at xtreamlab.net
>> http://www.xtreamlab.net/mailman/listinfo/ootb-hive
> _______________________________________________
> OOTB-hive mailing list
> OOTB-hive at xtreamlab.net
> http://www.xtreamlab.net/mailman/listinfo/ootb-hive

С уважением,
Оксана Курышева
<okurysheva at gmail.com>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.xtreamlab.net/pipermail/ootb-hive/attachments/20140820/83f63950/attachment-0001.html>

More information about the OOTB-hive mailing list