[OOTB-hive] Status update

Richard Esplin richard.esplin at alfresco.com
Mon Aug 11 19:58:30 BST 2014

Interesting link, though I am always suspicious when the presenter is casting
his or her opponent in the worst possible light. Even though some of
criticisms may be valid, he fails to appreciate the position of the people who
provide the commercial product and does a lot of name calling. There is an old
adage "it is a mighty thin pancake that ain't got two sides".

I am sure a similar negative presentation could be built about Alfresco. Many
individual employees have an incorrect view of Alfresco Community Edition
being just for evaluation or just for developers. But I have had some good
conversations with Alfresco leadership that make me think they understand the
value of a true open source community edition. We hope to improve our employee
training to avoid those sort of negative interactions. But at the same time,
the company worries a lot about how Community Edition contributes to the
bottom line. That can lead to poor decisions that seem to make sense in the
short term, but I think the management team is now looking far enough ahead
that our current strategy is beneficial to all involved.

Richard