[OOTB-infra] Live showcase

Martin Cosgrave martin at ocretail.com
Thu Oct 16 10:35:35 BST 2014

On 16/10/14 11:10, Heiko Robert wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
>> One of our tasks in INFRA is to consider how to get a live showcase
>> of Alfresco, as well as to create a demo site where we can invite
>> users to try out their issues and problems.
>>
>> Which version do we want for the showcase? The 5.0.x track seems
>> appropriate as it showcases new alfresco features but perhaps we will
>> prefer a more stable platform and merely showcase our additions?
> Demo site should be for the existing addons not for Alfresco itself,
> right?
> Although there is 5.0.b out I would vote for 4.2.f since the SDK 2.0
> and the Alfresco search page is still under development / not stabile
> and therefore we will not have too much addons available.
> Should be agreed with the addon team. 5.0.x is nice to show new
> featues, but these are more or less limited to search. Everything else
> can be shown on 4.2.x
> Anyway it shouldn't be an issue to switch to 5.0.x if all the
> modules/addons are available.

OK, I prefer 4.2.f too, I think it is best and we don't want to
continually update our environment if Alfresco break things with point
releases

> Additionally we need a hosted testing environment for different
> Alfresco versions which are available at the same time. It makes no
> sense only to test on trunc / only on the latest version since
> Alfresco versions in real live run older versions.
>

>> The demo site... well maybe we need to be able to spin up whichever
>> version we require as and when we need it.
>

>> Hosting - we can try to host on vpsdime which is cheap ($7/mth for
>> 6GB RAM I think) but occasionally goes down, or do we want to chase
>> up some of the people who have offered us server space? I believe we
>> have had offers both from Alfresco via Richard Esplin and also from
>> Ole's company.
> We had very bad experience in using vHosts for Alfresco and tried
> several hosters. They are far to slow for Alfresco. In most cases the
> memory is not garantueed and and main bottlenek is disk IO ( esp. for
> SOLR/postgres/...). We have seen Alfresco just to start up taking 30
> mins... The other point is that we can't switch environments/server
> images on vHosts. Everything has to be installed/confgured manually
> from scratch.
> We are happy with real boxes running VMWare ESXi (50€/moth) e.g.
> hetzner EX
> <http://www.hetzner.de/hosting/produktmatrix/rootserver-produktmatrix-ex>.
> Easy to maintain, scales very well, allows to run several VMs in
> parallel and we load new systems ready to run in minutes. This is
> cheaper and faster than amazon and is exactly the same environment how
> 80 % of companies here in Germany run Alfresco and most of their other
> systems.

vpsdime is good because the memory is guaranteed, however they are
limited on disk I/O as you say, however I have heard of several people
(douglascrp and Darkstar1 among them) who have run demo alfresco servers
there without problems

€50 a month seems to be a lot for now, unless we can find someone to
sponsor that for us, in that case it might be quite good - if that's
capable of running ESXi or KVM then it could suit us, question is how to
fund it?