[OOTB-hive] My challenge to all members of the Order of the Bee

Jeff Potts jeffpotts01 at gmail.com
Tue May 29 15:10:57 BST 2018

The Order of the Bee began during a time of great uncertainty for our
community. It was started, in part, as a reminder to Alfresco Software,
Inc. (and to ourselves) that there is a group of people, distributed across
the globe, that care deeply about both the software and the community of
people involved in making, using, implementing, and customizing that
software.

Since then, The Order has achieved many things. It organized and executed
two outstanding events. It took ownership of the Support Tools project and
drove it forward. It served as a "brand" with which those truly passionate
about the community could identify.

Today the future for Alfresco and the community is no more certain than it
was in 2014. Yet, I feel like our organization has lost its way. The board
never meets formally. The subcommittees have mostly stopped work. Even
simple, focused efforts aimed at getting more people involved and producing
output fell flat.

As we look to electing a new board I would like to challenge each of you to
think about the following:
  * Does this organization still make sense?
  * If so, does the mission need to be adjusted?
  * If the mission is still good, how will we execute differently in order
to achieve it?
  * If changes are needed, what are those changes?

I am raising this during the elections because I think it is important for
board candidates to express their thoughts in these areas. But it is not
the board's sole responsibility to set and drive the mission--they are just
custodians.

*My challenge is for all members to consider why this organization exists,
whether it should continue to exist, and, if so, what needs to change to
move it forward and how you will help make that happen.*

Jeff