[OOTB-hive] Any thoughts on OOTBee owning projects or OOTBee access to Maven Central

martin at bettercode.com martin at bettercode.com
Sat Nov 12 22:45:40 GMT 2016

I agree, and in fact just a couple of days ago I deleted something from
the OOTB github which I had prematurely added some time ago; I think
that for things to be in the OOTB namespace or in github or any other
space where confusion can occur then they should be explicitly part of
OOTB including a commitment to maintain them, and if that commitment
cannot be guaranteed (by the original or some other party) then such
projects should be retired from the OOTB realm.

  martin at bettercode.com

On Fri, 11 Nov 2016, at 05:04 PM, Axel Faust wrote:
> Right - nothing should be in a ootb namespace if it has not been
> accepted / intended to be owned. In the mail in October I included
> some aspects of what it means for an addon / tool to be owned by the
> Order as a conversation starter - unfortunately without the
> conversation taking off afterwards...
>
> On 11 November 2016 at 16:18, Jeff Potts
> <jeffpotts01 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> It seems to me that nothing should be in the ootb namespace or in an
>> ootb managed artifact repo unless it is explicitly accepted into the
>> organization as a project that the organization will actively
>> maintain. An exception would be something developed specifically for
>> ootb, like a tool or module that the order uses for internal systems.
>> I don't think anyone has defined what "explicitly accepted into the
>> organization" entails or what it means.
>>
>> My opinion is that if something is in that namespace or in an ootb
>> managed artifact repo it means the organization is committed to
>> maintaining the project and should be held accountable if it is not.
>> Therefore the community or some sub-set of the community needs to
>> have a say as to what's included.
>> Jeff
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 7:47 AM, Ian Wright
>> <tech at wrighting.org> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I agree that it's useful to have dependencies available on Maven
>>> Central.
>>> Under some circumstances you can use jitpack.io as an alternative.
>>> What does ownership of projects imply re ongoing maintenance and
>>> support? - e.g. if the owner of a useful project leaves the Alfresco
>>> community
>>> The related question I actually wanted to raise here is the use of
>>> the ootb namespace prefix.
>>> Not pointing any fingers but I know of at least one project I was
>>> thinking of using that has a content model with a namespace prefix
>>> of ootb
>>> There's an obvious risk of conflict here so perhaps there should be
>>> some guidelines
>>> Regards,
>>> Ian

Links: