[OOTB-hive] Thoughts on Honeycomb that need your input

Jeff Potts jeffpotts01 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 17:07:28 BST 2016

Order of the Bee Members,

I would like to start a discussion regarding what the vision should be for
the Honeycomb distribution.

Here is what I propose, but I want this to be the group's vision, not just
mine, so please improve upon this...

*1. Honeycomb should be Alfresco Community Edition plus the best of what
the community has to offer.*

What are we adding? Definitely AMPs we feel like should be included in
every install, such as the JavaScript Console. Potentially also critical
fixes that Alfresco hasn't put in Alfresco CE. The goal should be to be
additive and to avoid a complete fork, if possible.

We also need to be transparent about exactly what is included.

*2. Honeycomb should be available to consume in at least as many flavors as
Alfresco Community Edition is.*

Regarding the second point, there has been a lot of hard work done to
Puppet-ize the Honeycomb installation. That is great, we don't want to stop
doing that. For people who have Puppet in their environments or are willing
to introduce it, using Puppet to automate the install has a lot of value.

But we also want to make it an easy choice for people. Today there is a
WAR-only distribution of Alfresco CE. There should be a WAR-only
distribution of Honeycomb. Today there is an installer distribution of
Alfresco CE. There should be an option to install Honeycomb with that same
installer.

If someone is about to install Alfresco for the first time, we need to
ensure that the same steps and instructions they would have followed for CE
still apply, making it a no-brainer to go with the Honeycomb distribution.

*3. Honeycomb should be as stable as Alfresco Community Edition, making it
suitable for running in production for the same use cases and
implementation patterns as Alfresco Community Edition.*

If we can make it more stable, even better. For example, we can establish
our own set of tests that we run against our distribution, which can test
not only the changes we make, but also the core CE distro.

Jeff