[OOTB-hive] OOTB contribution issues

Andreas Steffan a.steffan at contentreich.de
Wed Jul 27 10:22:52 BST 2016

I think the question we should ask is: Why are people not contributing?

I may have missed things, but I'll tell you my story:

I think OOTB generally has a very tiny workforce. Suggested solutions
seem way overkill and complex in terms of effort. People even disagree
about them. Things get stuck. Typical enterprise patterns. :) Some ideas
may not even address actual needs.

What is really needed? What is feasible?

INFRA amongst other things depends on ADDONS and DISTRO (which I think
is also meant to bundle the former?).

If DISTRO is really meant to bundle ADDONS, personally I would not use
it. Why? Because most add-ons have issues and stability matters a lot to
me. Can those issues be fixed? Depends. Some require tweaks not covered
by extension points. The "fact" that most add-ons introduce issues is
the reason why I personally just use one from addons.alfresco.com - the
JS console (albeit a custom fork). Another personal issue is that I find
amps cumbersome to use and hence, don't use them at all. Your mileage
vary and that's ok. However, I'd be interested to know how many add-ons
there are on average in a production system.

Other than that, DISTRO is meant to be more stable than plain CE, right?

So lets see what's feasible in terms of patching/bugfixes.

How many CE releases can be supported?

I'd say very few due to the small workforce. Personally I'd prefer a
jar-drop-in implementation for simplicities sake.

As for Slack: I think it is awesome and it works great for other Open
Source projects. There are workarounds for "issues" like
Google-indexing. Still I'd suggest to keep this can of worms closed
until the real issues are resolved.

cheers
Andreas

--
Andreas Steffan

Achter Billing 14
22399 Hamburg
Germany

skype: deas0815
M: +49 160 4694826
T: +49 40 23943542
F: +49 40 23943542

http://www.contentreich.de

Contentreich : Alfresco ECM, Clojure, Groovy und WordPress - aus Spaß und für Geld