[OOTB-hive] New communication platform for our community?

Axel Faust axel.faust.g at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 27 08:51:48 BST 2016

I do believe we have a section in our by-laws (
https://github.com/OrderOfTheBee/gov/blob/master/bylaws.md) about
determining consenus by voting when the general consenus "appears to be
murky or hard to achieve".

Concerning Olivers summary, I would add that we (the Order) are not using
StackOverflow for any of our internal communication (SO would be the wrong
tool for that). SO just happens to be used by members to answer any
question that comes up with the proper tags. Same with Alfresco forums...

What I am still unclear on is: How will changing the tooling for
communication help us with the most pressing problem that only very few
people actually contribute / work on some of the activities that the Order
set out to do? I mean, sure, we could say "they hate these old tools and
that's why they don't engange", but that would likely just be a trump-esque
statement without any real evidence behind it.
I refuse to believe that someone who is *genuinely* interested in
participating within the Order would be so put off by the current tooling
as to cancel that interest. I am also not aware of anyone voicing an
opinion in the likes of "I would do [more/anything] if only you didn't use
mailing list/IRC".
What would we need a different communication platform for when there is
barely anything in need of being communicated due to lack of a consistent
engagement by our members?

To be clear: I am not against changing the platform per-se. But I have
strong reservations against doing something "for the heck of it" / "because
X is cool" without tangible indicators / evidence that it's necessary /
objectively benefits the Order or its role within the Community, especially
if any effort could very well be spent on other activities with more direct
results. It's the same reason why I hvae always been skeptical about most
of the engergy spent on SDK / "the packaging wars", and why I am very
skeptical about the ng2 stuff right now...