[OOTB-hive] Honeycomb vision revised

Heiko Robert heiko.orderofthebee.info at ecm4u.de
Thu Jul 21 18:08:14 BST 2016

we had this kind of discussion very often and ended up in three
independant artefacts: one bug patches module, one feature and one
sharepoint patch module (since it is already a separate kind of thing).

We also try to not patch if possible but the price is in many cases
higher complexity, indirection and more work on updates sombody needs to
understand. This is just my personal feeling and we would make a very
good job if we handle bugs and missing features / extensibility in a
better, transparent way which would be an ongoing job and should be
accompanied by how to's, public discussions and documentation ...

> One problem I see is that people that already provide this kind of added
> value as part of their business may be reluctant to part with the
> advantage this provides them with on the market.

I can only speak for us: we don't sell these modules and give them for
free but would appreciate any joined forces following required quality
requirements to implement and maintain them. We definitly wouldn't work
on our own patch project if there is a common one everybody can rely on.

We should implement several circles of trust how changes find their way
into the repo like handled in the linux or postgres world.

And yes: I agree that this mission should be handled separately from the
others.