[OOTB-hive] [ADDONS] What do we want from an Order-managed addon listing?

Axel Faust axel.faust.g at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 21 11:48:57 BST 2016

Hello everyone,

as our previous ADDONS mailing list was closed due to inactivity, it is
time to contemplate the state / future of the committees work.

Initially, the committee was set up to compose, review and manage a list of
Community addons / tools that we as the Order can recommend to users of
Alfresco either because they fit a very specific niche of features, are
qualitatively exception or simplify specific use cases immensely. In
comming up with a process / guideline to review and accept addons in such a
list we had some discussions about criteria but little concrete progress
was made. At some point I started to compile a draft criteria catalogue (
https://github.com/OrderOfTheBee/addons/wiki/Inclusion-criteria-overview)
to help me structure my ideas and be used as a concrete basis for
additional debate. Response had been mixed, I created two addon reviews as
showcases and asked others to try and use the catalogue for their own
reviews to gather feedback as well as input for potential changes (both
detail or general direction).

Since then, nothing has really happened in the committee. For me it became
clear that I could do little to encourage others to either try their hand
at a review or come up with a concrete counter-proposal of how we want to
go about compiling a list. Additionally, I was burdened with a higher load
at work and didn't really find the time to continue doing reviews by
myself, and neither wanted to since doing stuff unilaterally defeats the
purpose of a committee / the Order. I am confident I can rectify my problem
with the work load now that there'll be a couple changes in my work life.
But engagement by other members is still crucial and initiative has yet to
been demonstrated in this particular area.

My question(s) to you now:

   - Do we still (want to) consider it an objective of the Order of the
   Bee, to compile a list of addons / tools that have been qualitatively
   evaluated (in some sort), and to have that list provide added value over
   what is already provided by addons.alfresco.com or any potential tool
   that may be introduced with the new community platform?
   - How do we want to go about compiling such a list?
   And here I don't mean minute details (GitHub issues vs. whatever task
   listing), but questions about "output artifacts" (what is part of the
   listing), "inclusion criteria", "distribution of effort", "committment to
   review schedule / targets"
   - Who wants to (regularily) take part in addons-related activities
   within the Order (and hasn't previously been aware of what you could do)?

Regards

Axel