[OOTB-hive] Useful Add-ons and Patches WAS Re: OOTB contribution issues

Richard Esplin richard.esplin at alfresco.com
Mon Aug 1 18:33:07 BST 2016

I appreciate Andreas pointing out ALF-20508. I find it interesting that it hasn't been reported by anyone else.

We have previously discussed our Triage process, as documented in the wiki (https://wiki.alfresco.com/wiki/Issue_Triage_Process). I think it is worth pointing out why this process is structured in this way.

I bulk closed 800 issues last Friday. I only closed issues that were reported before 5.0.d. We still have 1100 non-customer issues to review. We get about two new issue reports every business day, and the rate has been increasing. Most of those reports are not real issues, but it takes a significant amount of time to make that determination. Actually fixing a real issue takes a lot more time.

Instead of reviewing thousands of old issues, we want to spend most of our time implementing new functionality and addressing issues that are blocking successful adoption. We need help identifying which of the old issues are worth investigating further, as the reporter has either found a work-around or moved to a different product.

I believe the system is working. We now know that the 20 reopened issues are important for us to look at again. Even though we expect more issues to be reopened, that saves us looking at over 700 issues. We recognize that there are legitimate problems in those 700 issues, but we do not think reviewing them is the most efficient allocation of our efforts.

This is the third time I have done a bulk close of ALF issues. I have been doing a bulk close after each family of GA releases (after 4.2, 5.0, and now 5.1). Though we are getting better at acting on the issues as they come in, there will always be issues that we don't address in a reasonable amount of time. It is better for them to drop off our list than for us to continue working on stuff no one cares about anymore.

We read every issue, and try to reproduce most of them. In addition, members of our team engage with you as our open source collaborators. We also compare public issue reports with problems reported by customers. As a result, we address a lot of the painful concerns that are raised. Every release includes a lot of fixes to issues that are reported by non-customers through the public issue tracker, and these fixes are often guided by patches submitted by the public. That is why last autumn I was able to justify an increase in the resources we spend on this effort.

We have plans to further improve by making it easier to incorporate the patches that you submit. But that process will never be free, as we have a QA responsibility for every change we make to the software.

We will continue to evolve this process to engage more and to accept more contributions. But we expect that will result in more issue reports coming our way. We accept that the product will never be perfect and we will not be able to deal with every issue in a reasonable amount of time, so we will eventually bulk close many issues.

It is easy for someone to complain that we are not focused enough on his or her particular concern. Those complaints often fail to acknowledge the concerns that we have previously addressed, or the thousands of other people who have concerns that we are also working to solve. It is easier for people to give us their problems than for us to solve those problems. We will never keep pace.

Instead of getting discouraged, we focus on providing a product that people love even after they acknowledge ways in which it can be improved.

Thanks,

Richard