[OOTB-hive] Introducing BeeCon

Richard Esplin richard.esplin at alfresco.com
Thu May 7 05:41:45 BST 2015

I agree with all of the above.

There are a few "conference management sites in a box" open source projects.
I'm sure we could set one up without too much trouble.

As for usage of the trademark, I believe that these are the relevant
paragraphs from the Trademark Guidelines and Policies:

"Building on Alfresco or for Alfresco. If you are producing new software that
is intended for use with or on Alfresco, you may use the Trademark in a way
which indicates the intent of your product. For example, if you are developing
a backup tool for Alfresco, acceptable project titles would be "Backup and
Recovery for Alfresco" or "Alfresco Based Backup Tool". We would strongly
discourage, and likely would consider to be problematic, a name such as
“Alfresco Backup”, “AlfBackup”, “Backfresco”, etc. Furthermore, you may not
use the Trademarks in a way which implies an endorsement where that doesn't
exist, or which attempts to unfairly or confusingly capitalize on the goodwill
or brand of the project.

"Commentary and parody. The Alfresco trademarks are designed to cover use of a
mark to imply origin or endorsement by the project. When a user downloads
something called Alfresco, they should know it comes from the Alfresco
project. This helps Alfresco build a reputation that will not be damaged by
confusion around what is, and isn't, Alfresco. Using the trademarks in your
discussion, commentary, criticism or parody, in ways that unequivocally do not
imply endorsement, is permissible. Anyone is free to write articles, create
websites, blog about, or talk about Alfresco -- as long as it's clear to
everyone -- including people completely unfamiliar with Alfresco -- that they
are simply referring to Alfresco and in no way speaking for Alfresco, or the
Alfresco project.

"We reserve the right to review all usage within the open source community,
and to object to any usage that appears to overstep the bounds of discussion
and good-faith non-commercial development. In any event, once a project has
left the open source project phase or otherwise become a commercial project,
this policy does not authorize any use of the Trademarks in connection to that
project."

I think "BeeCon: The Independently-Organized Alfresco Community Conference"
meets both the letter and spirit of this policy.

Richard