[OOTB-hive] "Keep SPP IP proprietary"

Heiko Robert heiko.orderofthebee.info at ecm4u.de
Wed Jun 17 18:55:51 BST 2015

Hi Richard,

I absolutely agree. Your ticket / your suggestion addresses different
points:

*** Closed, Free, Open Source ***

Open Source could be a big limitation if this means to reinvent the
wheels which already exist but nobody pays for that job to make/rebuild
them as open source. Especially if the job can't be done in a aceptable
quality by hobbyists. Most of the end customers don't care too much
about the open source idea and concepts - they're just happy if
something is for free. But exactly these end users convert very often to
open source enemys if their conclusion is after a time that the expected
quality can only be expected from closed source software vendors. MS is
doing a very good job in pushing these guys in management departments
and I see a lot of companies dropping Alfresco for that reason.
Your suggestion should be seen as a template for integrating important
use cases/high qulity market solutions and open Alfresco as a platform
for extentions and solutions which do not need to be open source to
use/consume them.
It is very similar to the linux distributions. There are many drivers,
apps which are not open source but which are default for a linux
desktop. Only a few would agree to a linux desktop if graphic
accelleration couldn't be enabled or sound would not be active. The
closed source free products are the compromise. I'm not sure if any
company would vote for EE if just the AOS module has not enough options
but the message is quite clear and end users and the community have at
least an option.

*** Office ***

Office Integration is one of the big pain points working with Alfresco
(both editions). So any success in that direction will be highly
appreciated! Today there is only the use case of "Online Edit" for CE
available but most of us know that MS users expect muuuuch more and
they're used to get more (metadata sync, better integration of office
functions, dialogs, workflows, ...) from sharepoint.
If the idea is just to allow the "Online Edit" this will keep open the
business case for better solutions from competitors ...

*** SDK ***

Alfresco SDK 2 is for now a step backwards for this use case. We already
have a bunch of addons including commercial, closed source libs. We had
to write our own build environment to allow modules to rely on and share
other modules and to support different Alfresco versions just to be
installed by the customers without the need to start maven. By now the
sdk only supports the allinone and the stanalone amp artefacts - but we
need to combine different (already existing) modules and libs which are
to be bought from different parties.

Looking forward to anything in that direction ;-)

cheers
Heiko