[OOTB-hive] Perception of Order of the Bee

Ole Hejlskov ole at phpfreak.dk
Thu Oct 16 21:15:38 BST 2014

Hi Richard

I really appreciate your honesty and this is *exactly* the kind of communication
we need between the Order and Alfresco.

The statement about the fork is going away, like Oksana said, as we have been
over it a few times, but you also have to acknowledge that when we founded the
Order there was a great deal of FUD in the community. Everyone was scared of
Alfresco’s next move, and the gap between community and enterprise only
seems to grow, without any clearly defined statements about the future of
community.

Our main concern, at the time, was that Alfresco was closing the source down,
and if that were to happen someone would have to take charge.
Do we want to do this? No, of course not.
No one can phantom the amount of work there’s involved in maintaining a fork of a
project like that.  If we’re forced to do so, we might just do it, but we should *not*
focus on that.

We are all about collaboration, coordinating efforts and helping Alfresco be even
more open in every meaning of the word. That is where our focus is, and the
mission statement should reflect that.

From the time we launched the Order everything went SO fast. We grew to 30+
members in the first week, and we’re at 80+ members now. We quickly got
recognised by Alfresco, and there has been great commitment from Alfresco’s side,
but we are still a very young organisation and we are still figuring everything out.

That being said, there are still some people in the community (and the Order) who
only sees problems, and does not really (or simply refuses to) believe that Alfresco
is serious about their open source commitment.

To all of those who still have doubts please remember that trust is a two way street.

Alfresco has embraced us, given round applause at summit and overall received
us with their arms wide open. We should repay the favour by trusting them, and
continue to build a strong and communicative relationship.

I really feel that the future will be much more transparent and open. There will be
a few mistakes along the way - on both parts. We just have to continue to be
open and honest with each other.

I hope this addresses your concerns. Feel free to forward the email to anyone who
has doubts about the true nature of the Order.

/Ole