[OOTB-hive] Is the Order working?

Heimo Laukkanen huima at iki.fi
Sat Nov 8 12:20:54 GMT 2014

What signals?

Anyways from my perspective the community is starting to work. We just
had an event in Copenhagen, where over 20 persons showed up. Including
Richard Esplin from Alfresco:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/huimanet/15728691351/

Everything is still -- from my perspective -- bootstrapping itself,
because like you said -- everyone needs to fit contributions and
activities into their day to day work and other responsibilities. And
yes the progress is slow or slower than in the ideal world it could
be, but that is given.

One limiting factor with Alfresco community will always be the total
size of the community. ECM is not sexy, technology stack is quite
complicated for young people to get excited and into it ( "Oooh!
Managing documents. Now this is cool! Transformations and metadata!
Oooh" , yep. I see the excitement ) and the need for it is limited.

So the target group for the community is grownups who also otherwise
do work with Alfresco. And they have many different commitments
besides this. That also might affect heavily why people want to take
specific tasks and for example work with multiple versions of Alfresco
( distro part ), as it could be beneficial and important for them also
in work wise. And I think that is really cool that they will rather
solve those problems inside a community and share the creations --
rather than do it in-house only for their own use and benefit. ( This
is just guessing on my behalf )

How can we collaborate and share work into small pieces that make it
easier for others to contribute can be elemental to the success,
compared to just singe heroes pushing things through on their own.

Everyone is giving and contributing what they can - and based on what
Ole and Richard said in Copenhagen, it seems that people are doing
many things to bootstrap things ( infrastructure for demos etc. ) but
those things are not visible yet.

Don't know if I had any point in this, other than to say that from
different perspective it seems that things are moving and you can't
really say anything about the OOTB based on these few months.