[OOTB-hive] Alfresco Community Edition Promise <- for Alfresco Software Inc. to make

Peter Löfgren peter at loftux.se
Mon Jun 23 08:58:49 BST 2014

Hi All,

With the current Community Edition we have a base platform that is very
usable for smaller companies. I've successfully deployed to many clients,
and on top of that created custom solutions. So what we have now I would
say is a good base.

Alfresco Software Inc provides this for us at no cost and as open source.
For this I'm grateful, Why wouldn't I be, I run a company that has all its
income based on Alfresco services.
But since my company is run this way, it is also vulnerable to changes, in
the market (those I have to try to forecast myself) and change of what
Alfresco release in Community Edition. Those changes are unknown.

I'm therefore looking for a Community promise from Alfresco Software Inc.
- Any features/functionality available today will remain available
- Any features/functionality available today will remain on par with
Enterprise
- Any new features/functionality added to Community will be bound by the
Community Edition promise

This will ensure that nothing goes away and that solutions and add ons
created will not stop working (newer versions of Alfresco may of course
require you to upgrade your code). Also makes sure that features do not
deteriorate, here I have Solr in mind, lets say Alfresco updates Solr to
latest version for Enterprise only customers and let Community stay on
current version. Or that the Sharepoint extension gets enterprise only
updates.

With such a promise I can have Loftux remain focused on Alfresco. Else I
may have to start planning for changes and looking at, oh no must not say
that word, N*xeo...

Peter Löfgren
Loftux AB