[OOTB-hive] Overlap? - Wiki vs. OOTB-WCM-to-be

Axel Faust axel.faust at prodyna.com
Fri Jun 20 10:43:47 BST 2014

Hello all,

So far the consensus appears to gravitate towards being more independent than dependent on Alfresco. In that context I pose the following question: To what extent – if at all - do we want to utilize the already existing Community Wiki for providing additional resources / information?
I don’t follow the changes all that much, but there was at one time supposed to be an active group of community “gardeners” looking over certain areas. The last post to the Google Group seems to have been more than a year ago though (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/alfresco-wiki-gardeners).

While I agree in principle that we should provide any “new services” for the community not dependent on Alfresco (in its role as the vendor), I am less clear on the boundaries between the “OOTB-WCM-to-be” and the Community Wiki. “Information / list of professional Community integrators / service providers” (from Trello lists) is one thing I would never want to put into wiki.alfresco.com to avoid potential issues for Alfresco. But any resources about tutorials, presentations might fit better in the already established go-to resource instead of a new platform that first needs to gain visibility to become useful.
Unless the long-term goals include providing a kind of “wiki 2.0”, I currently see two options: Use our own for all our activities and introduce some additional uncertainty over what the first/best go-to source material is, or enhance existing wiki where possible with a likely reduced visibility as a concerted community effort.

I currently tend to prefer the latter option and would see us concentrating on providing a platform for stuff that does not fit in the existing ones or is a “dedicated service” OOTB provides (e.g. reviewing / maintaining list of open source addons, integrators, showcase, special downloads…).

Regards
Axel