[OOTB-hive] Some more ideas

Richard Esplin richard.esplin at alfresco.com
Fri Jun 13 20:38:51 BST 2014

I am lurking, but I will keep my participation to a minimum. My goal is to
remove roadblocks and keep the company advised, but to not interfere. Other
Alfresco employees can participate more actively without it being confused
with our official company strategy. As we figure out our official company strategy,
I might be able to participate more in the future.

I understand the desire to have the domain and brand be related to Alfresco,
but I strongly recommend against it. You can only use Alfresco trademarks with
Alfresco's explicit permission. Jan's blog has been ignored because we love
him (and the legal team has other things to worry about). But we have
previously requested projects with similar names to re-brand.

Alfresco allows the public to reference Alfresco Community Edition, so you can
make clear that your efforts are part of the Alfresco community and based
around Alfresco Community Edition. But I wouldn't include anything derived
from the term "alfresco" in something hard to change such as a URL.

For the record, I love the name "Order of the Bee". Boris pointed out to me
that it has a nice relationship to the Alfresco flower that could make for a
nice logo. Though I would also caution not to use the Alfresco flower apart
from a reference to the official distribution of Alfresco Community Edition.

A good example of how to do this is CentOS and other RHEL clones. They remove
all the trademarks, but they do not fragment the community and they do not
fork the product. I think that is in the best interests of everyone. Wildfly vs
JBoss is perhaps a better example since it is a product rather than a
distribution, though it does have official monetary support from Red Hat.

Before I go back on mute, I want to thank everyone for your enthusiasm. It is
fun to be part of such a tight-knit community.

Thank you,

Richard

--
Richard Esplin
Community Technology

Alfresco
Simple + Smart

alfresco.com | twitter.com/alfresco | facebook.com/alfrescosoftware |
blogs.alfresco.com | linkedin.com/company/alfresco | youtube.com/alfresco101

Join us at Alfresco Summit | San Francisco, Sep 23-25 | London, Oct 7-9 |
http://summit.alfresco.com

On Friday, June 13, 2014 14:06:42 Jan Pfitzner wrote:
> 1. would recommend to start with trello first until everything is setup.
> 2. my board is still more a prototype but I'm going to push it to github
> asap...but that may take a while
> 3. I'm refering alfrescians.org or alfrescians.com (with a "s")  that won't
> have any relations to my own alfrescian.com site.
> I could imagine that such a similar domain could lead to confusions, but
> from my side it's all fine.
> I would recommend that the name should be related to "alfresco" somehow - "
> orderofthebee.org" could be about every software...
> We should also reuse the "brand label" if we'd like to use a common github
> repo....
<snip>