[OOTB-hive] August 15, Tech talk live with Doug Dennerline

Ole Hejlskov ole at phpfreak.dk
Thu Jul 17 21:25:05 BST 2014

Gah, I wrote too fast. It is of course office hours, not tech talk live, sorry for the confusion ;)

Here are my initial thoughts on things that I personally want brought up:
- What is in the future for the community team? Jeff left, and his tasks was spread out between existing people. Richard is more busy than ever.
There is a ton of good discussion material here: http://blog.alfrescian.com/?p=284 - one of the points is as Jeff summarizes:
"Local focus. Richard and I are both in the US, so we were unable to focus on Europe as we would have liked to. Frankly, the community is much stronger in Europe than it is in the US, so this was a gap. If I had been given the resources to do so, I would have hired at least one person with the background you described to help me cover Europe.”

I see more stuff going on in Europe, meetups, hackathons and there’s talk of a scandinavian meetup in the fall. Having official presence in Europe could help boost these events all around the community.

Another subject is the worry that is in the community. We fear that Alfresco will be closed off, or that we see critical features being enterprise only. Why does the community users have to live in fear of these things?

Peter Löfgren (Loftux) said it with a few great lines about a month ago:
"I'm therefore looking for a Community promise from Alfresco Software Inc.
- Any features/functionality available today will remain available
- Any features/functionality available today will remain on par with Enterprise
- Any new features/functionality added to Community will be bound by the Community Edition promise”

/Ole