[OOTB-hive] List of questions for Office hours - next Firday

Andreas Steffan a.steffan at contentreich.de
Sat Aug 9 08:17:32 BST 2014

On 08/08/2014 05:22 PM, Ole Hejlskov wrote:

> I’d like to add this:
>  - What is your overall impression of the community as a hole? Do you think it is useful? We’ve heard rumors that the “management” does not seem to think that the community contribute………………
>     - Someone said it on IRC, don’t want to mention any names, you know who you are if you want to tell more about it
>
>  - What did you know about Open Source before you joined Alfresco? - What have you learned since then?
>
>  - It seems all engineers we talk to support the open source strategy the live and breathe for open source. However, when hearing from sales and management I get the feeling that “open source” is just a thing that looks good on paper, but they really don’t care, and they would *never* even talk to the community users and they really don’t know what that “open sauce” is all about. Seriously, this is the vibe you get and I have a scary story to tell, that I told Jeff and Richard about at Summit last year. The question being: Does open source matter to you personally? And how do you think that opinion propagates down the ladder in the company?
>
>  - Downloading the community edition. What is up with that? Are the sales team really THAT scared of those open source hippies? If users and potential new customers want to try out your product, you do not need to stalk them by requiring their contact info. Fine, if they want the enterprise trail, go a head. But for community….? Come on.
>

> I could go on, but I will stop and give room for anyone else and get back to hacking the Alfresco SDK 2.0 so we can get that beta released ;)

I pretty much feel the vibe here (for years) and I doubt it is
coincidence. Hate to say it but I have heard (more than once) people
backing the EE making fun of the CE, calling it a crappy product, (open
source) marketing gag and so on.

PS: IIRC, Jeff indeed mentioned that a fair amount of recent hirings do
not have a clue about this "open sauce" people are talking about.

regards
Andreas

--
Andreas Steffan

Achter Billing 14
22399 Hamburg
Germany

skype: contentreich
M: +49 1793903615
T: +49 40 23943542
F: +49 40 23943542

http://www.contentreich.de

Contentreich : Alfresco WCM / ECM, JEE, Grails