[OOTB-infra] Live showcase

Martin Cosgrave martin at ocretail.com
Thu Oct 16 10:59:40 BST 2014

One other thing to consider here, there is only one IPv4 address
included and adding more gets expensive.

I also had the following conversation in IRC with my friend M^tt who
runs one of these servers... which might inform our decision about what
virtualisation to run

<M^tt> no reason not to go esxi really, for me i was trying to be cheap
and save public v4 ip's
<M^tt> esxi doesnt give me the same virtual networking flexibility that
linux does
<M^tt> that was my reason for linux/kvm
<M^tt> also security
<M^tt> esxi best practice is mgmt interface not publically available
<M^tt> no way to do that with hetzner
<M^tt> afaik
<M^tt> no firewall infront
<M^tt> unless you routed your mgmt access through a vm on the host
<M^tt> risky if it goes down
<M^tt> another reason i went linux, as i iptables everything but ssh to
the host
<M^tt> then ssh tunnel to get vnc consoles to guest
<M^tt> if needed
<marsbard> right so you mean I would need to run a vm for the firewall?
<marsbard> and also what do you mean about saving 4 ips? is that if you
run 4 vms without a firewall?
<M^tt> if you wanted to firewll the mgmt interface, i think there is
some sort of internal firewall in esxi anyway
<M^tt> i can should i wish forward ports destined for the hosts ip to a
guest on a private network
<M^tt> couldnt do that on esxi
<M^tt> effectively gives me use of an otherwise tied up address
<marsbard> ok. I guess though that the comment about being able to share
vms with others might trump these concerns...
<M^tt> so only saves one address, but for me thats important
<M^tt> vendor tie in. yey
<M^tt> install of esxi will require a bit more time, as you will have to
request a proper net based kvm console to do the install
<M^tt> and hardware support is a question, depending on what you get
<M^tt> but if you dont mind spending the 15eur for the flexipack and
then what ever for a subnet
<M^tt> then just go esxi
<M^tt> for me i wanted to avoid paying effectively 30eur pcm extra for a
subnet and just use the 4 provided public addresses