[OOTB-hive] Proposal: Coalesce the mailing lists

Lanre Abiwon el_gigantes at hotmail.co.uk
Tue Jul 19 19:12:06 BST 2016

I am also in support of this.
Let’s merge everything down to one.

Lanre Abiwon
Pretty much the only thing that happens in five of them is spam
mitigation. These are managed uncomplainingly by an open source
organisation run by a friend of mine, but I do know that there is a
definite administrative overhead associated with maintaining them.

I would like to propose that we reduce the number of mailing lists to
just this one. There is not so much traffic that we will overwhelm
subscribers. However I realise many people don't want the minutiae of
INFRA or DISTRO conversations in their inbox. Personally, conversations
about governance send me to sleep (even in the board meetings, oops!).

So I suggest we set a subject prefix when talking about
committee-specific topics, e.g. "[DISTRO] latest release of the
dockerfile" and that when we have a generic conversation we merely use
no prefix. That way subscribers can set negative filters on the topics
that they don't want to hear about.

What do we think? I'd really like to be able to go back to the xtreamlab
guys and say thanks very much but turn that lot off....

Cheers
Martin

--
 martin at bettercode.com<mailto:martin at bettercode.com>