[OOTB-hive] CE looking bad?

Torben Lauritzen tl at magus.dk
Fri May 22 07:10:01 BST 2015

On 22/05/2015, at 07.33, Richard Esplin <richard.esplin at alfresco.com> wrote:

> I am not sure how you read what I said and got "to use Alfresco you have to
> buy Enterprise Edition". I think you should reread my email because I was
> saying the exact opposite. In fact I have spent the last four years working to
> increase the adoption of Alfresco Community Edition.

You wrote:
"We want Community Edition to lead the industry and provide enough value that
you choose it for the organizations you support. But if Alfresco is an
important system for a profitable company, we hope you see the value in
purchasing Enterprise Edition for that client. Those purchases fund our
continued development of the open source product."

But you forgot an important thing: Adding shareholder value!

> But my answer was also intended to explain our product intentions so that you
> understand where we are focusing our investment. My proposal for where
> Community Edition is most valuable was partially based on my conversations
> with your employer about their business model. I want to verify that we do
> what we can do accommodate all members of the Order of the Bee and the wider
> Alfresco community.

Some of the things CE is missing compared to EE are actually limiting our business model...

> Last year the Order of the Bee had a conversation about the role that Alfresco
> employees play in this community. We agreed that Alfresco employees are
> welcome here, though they do not have voting privileges. If that changes, I am
> willing to follow the decision of the group. Though I do find the conversations
> here very useful in educating me how Community Edition is used so that I can
> better adapt the product to your needs.
>
> Likewise, if my specific attempts to answer questions in this thread are not
> considered valuable, then the wider group should let me know and I'll scale it
> back.

I do find most of your comments valuable, but sometimes they seem to me to be “damage control”, which is understandable considering who pays your salary.

I must admit, that I find it increasingly difficult to regard the OOTB as a serious community striving to promote an Open Source ECM. Sadly EE is not an option for the company where I work...

Regards,
Torben

> Cheers,
>
> Richard
>
> On Friday, May 22, 2015 06:42:00 Torben Lauritzen wrote:
>> Good morning.
>>
>> So everything boils down to:
>>
>> "If you really want to use Alfresco (the product), you have to buy Alfresco
>> EE."
>>
>> That is exactly why I think the Open Source brand is being misused!
>>
>> I very much appreciate the huge amount of work that Alfresco Inc. puts into
>> developing the product, but I think we should stop fooling ourselves, and
>> either accept the way things are, or try to build something truly Open
>> Source, which can compete with EE.
>>
>> @Alfresco employees: Even though I welcome your participation in the
>> discussions, it would also be nice to have a real community discussion
>> about these topics, where we discuss what the community would like, and not
>> what view Alfresco Inc. has on it.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Torben
>>
>> On 21/05/2015, at 22.15, Richard Esplin <richard.esplin at alfresco.com> wrote:
>>> Community Edition is released under the LGPL, and is governed by the terms
>>> of that license.
>>>
>>> Alfresco is proud to be an open source company, and we are upfront that we
>>> follow an open core model. We open source functionality that is part of
>>> the
>>> "open core" use case of core enterprise content management. Our Enterprise
>>> Edition customers benefit from the existence of the open source product.
>>>
>>> Sometimes I hear employees refer to our Enterprise Edition product as
>>> "open
>>> source". I always correct them. New employees now are recommended to take