[OOTB-hive] Introducing BeeCon

Richard Esplin richard.esplin at alfresco.com
Fri May 8 06:47:12 BST 2015

As a first season beekeeper, this is what I understand.

The common practice is for beekeepers to leave sufficient honey for their hives
to last the winter (2 boxes), and only take honey from boxes that get filled
beyond that.

The challenge is that the best honey producing bees (Italians) ramp up their
brood production early in the spring before there are honey flows. Beekeepers
of these bees will supplement their bees with sugar syrup until the nectar
flows start. Once the nectar starts the bees will prefer the nectar to the
syrup.

Sugar syrup is also used when transporting bee packages to new bee hives. The
bees on the backs of trucks are transported with a few frames of honey inside
their hives.

But I do understand the sentiment behind the analogy.