[OOTB-hive] Introducing BeeCon

Boriss Mejias tchorix at gmail.com
Thu May 7 22:36:22 BST 2015

On 6 May 2015 at 12:02, Torben Lauritzen <tl at magus.dk> wrote:

> On 06/05/2015, at 11.59, Andreas Steffan <a.steffan at contentreich.de>
> wrote:
>
>  On 05/06/2015 10:49 AM, Torben Lauritzen wrote:
>

>  BeeCon is a good name, although I actually have kind of a problem with
> the bee analogy. In the real world, the beekeeper takes the honey from the
> bees and feeds them sugar instead…
>

> I have a small problem with the logo.
>
> The bee looks a bit fat. Instead of a real bee, it reminds me of a
> bumblebee - which - according to physics - should not be able to fly.  ;)
>

> Order of the Bumblebee - that sounds good to me. Also bumblebees are wild,
> and not kept by beekeepers ;-)

That was actually a name we considered, but I read that bumblebees were not
as good as honeybees producing honey, that's why I discarded it.

I still think the Beekeeper analogy is a good one, but when I read your
comment about bees being feed with sugar, I was surprised. This summer in
Chile was a dry one, and beekeepers are informing the consumers that they
will be short on honey-stock to sell during the winter, because they need
part of the honey to keep the bees alive for next summer. Which means not
all beekeepers use sugar. Many of them still save honey for the bees. Your
comment is very important. In fact, I would like to add it as one of the
goals of the Order:

- Monitor/Check that we are getting honey from the beekeeper and not sugar.
We want honey, not a placebo.

Please someone rephrase that so that it sounds better.

cheers
Boriss