[OOTB-hive] Perception of Order of the Bee

Richard Esplin richard.esplin at alfresco.com
Thu Oct 16 19:03:16 BST 2014

Sending this email resulted in my being directed to the current mission of
Order of the Bee as stated on the web site. Clause 4 of the mission currently
states "we may be forced to fork if Alfresco Software takes an action contrary
to the idea of open source". I'm not sure how I missed the conversation about
the detailed mission statement, but it was added to the web site in early
September while I was heads-down with Summit.

I can see why Alfresco employees who read this message take it as a threat. It
was pointed out to me by Alfresco employees who feel uncomfortable being
affiliated with Order of the Bee due to this clause. Based on the list archives,
it is not just employees of Alfresco who don't want to be associated with a
movement to fork the Alfresco community.

And based on the list archives, I don't think anyone in the Order is seriously
considering a fork at this time.

The Order of the Bee mission is to "guarantee the existence of Alfresco
Community Edition as a free/libre open source solution for document
management." We all agree on this. And we all recognize that a fork would be
one way to fulfill that guarantee. I think explicitly calling that out in the
mission creates an antagonistic impression that is not in the best interests
of the Order.

I suggest that clause be removed from the mission statement.

Thanks,

Richard