[OOTB-hive] Addons for the distro

Martin Cosgrave martin at ocretail.com
Mon Nov 10 14:25:32 GMT 2014

Hi All

As you know we are trying to do two things around the addons space for
Alfresco

One is to select a list of addons which we will curate as "bee-approved"
addons.

The second, which I want to discuss now, is the much smaller list of
addons which we will try to build into our distribution of Alfresco.

We have had some discussions about this already but it is something that
everyone involved in the Order might have a useful opinion on, so I'd
like to ask everyone now to come up with ideas about what we should
include in the bee build.

I think that the javascript console has been almost universally
mentioned whenever this is discussed. Another suggestion was the "unzip"
action.

Personally I would like to see the model designer addon:
http://addons.alfresco.com/addons/becpg-model-designer-alfresco -
actually I have not been able to get this to work myself but I spoke to
one of the developers at Summit and he is keen to get the addon in front
of more community members, so we can probably get him to work directly
on it to make it work with our distro. If it works well for building
models within share, then I think it would be a great addon for the bee
distro.

This looks like an interesting new addon too:
http://addons.alfresco.com/addons/alfresco-inboxes - it looks like it
might be something like a "poor man's record management" or like the
"active folders" concept that John Newton spoke about at Summit.

So what ideas do you all have? It would be great if we could be guided
by the concept of making a more easy to use/customise/configure product,
i.e. more runtime/gui config along with less backend customisation. If
our target market is those organisations who could use Alfresco but
could not afford to buy Enterprise, then we should recognise that those
organisations also cannot afford much in the way of development resource
to customise the product.

Thanking you in advance for your suggestions.

Martin