[OOTB-hive] Community contributions to Alfresco Software - Can OOTB make sure it is properly rewarded?

Peter Löfgren peter at loftux.se
Thu Aug 21 22:25:40 BST 2014

Hi,

Thanks for the responses.
To clear some things up, I was asked by Kevin Roast and did agree to the
contribution and did not ask for a monetary reward. I have been attributed
in the blog post and in the about box. Sorry for any confusion, did not
mean to imply that Alfresco had done wrong. My question was if monetary
reward may exist, and if so inform future contributors of their rights.

What Richard mentioned about the license is important. I did not think of
it at the time (and had no idea that the add-on would turn out that well
with the joint effort we had). So I think that the ootb can have some basic
information on what the effect the choice of license can have if what you
create later will be used by others (like Alfresco Software Inc.)

So a section on the ootb web about
*Contributors rights*
- Planning for the future, choose the right license
- What to require in terms of attribution
- Can you reasonably expect payment
- Linking to Alfresco's contributor agreements/info (does that exist?)
- If you are asked to Contribute, check with ootb first (can we do this, we
are not lawyers)
- And else that is relevant...

Wiki is semi-ok for attribution, but hoping for more since any links there
get rel="nofollow" and does not help you in googla page rank. And yes, that
is something that can be very valuable. So I'm looking for a listing of
contributors on the official Alfresco site http://www.alfresco.com/community.
And there can be a listing of Community Stars, for individuals that can be
used for their CV.

Again, Alfresco have not wronged me, and I'm proud to be listed as
contributor. My idea was to find an area where ootb could be of help for
future contributors that find themselves having to make a decision if to
agree on contributions. I kind of just said ok, cool, but then later got
buyers remorse (for lack of better analogy, I was part seller here). It
would have been nice to have some place to find some info on the topic
related to Alfresco.

Peter