[OOTB-hive] Member Criteria, Voting and Badges

Martin Cosgrave martin at ocretail.com
Sun Aug 17 11:58:28 BST 2014

On 17/08/14 12:01, Ole Hejlskov wrote:
> I assume that only full members can vouch?
I too like the vouching idea. I think anybody could vouch for anyone
else, if they weren't in turn vouched for by anybody else more
recognised than them it wouldn't have an effect.

I'm thinking of an analogy with the PGP "web of trust" - just because
you've got a key doesn't mean I trust you, but if your key is signed by
somebody I do trust, then I can (at most) trust you as much as I trust them.

Or whether that gets too complex in practice to run, I don't know. I
think you could maybe just do it with GPG keys directly... I don't think
you'd need to be physically present to sign (as you do with web of
trust) as we are not trying to prove identity. Then we could just check
someone's "voucher key" to see if has been signed with a valid level of
trust. It's almost too much effort for a small group but the tools are
already built and well used.

Martin